Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Your Car is so LARGE!!!


If everyone lived like me, we’d need 3.5 planet earths to provide enough resources. To support my lifestyle, it takes 15.7 global acres of the Earth’s productive area (16.5 tons of carbon dioxide). Most of this land is due to my energy use. I do not use any fishing grounds or built-up land. I use a significant amount of Forrest Land and Crop Land, but barely any grazing land. Half of my ecological footprint broke down into services, with less than a quarter being broken down into the use of goods, followed by food. I used a small amount for mobility and shelter.

I drive a 2004 GMC Canyon. It is a little green pickup truck that gets 21 miles per gallon on the highway. I spend over $2,000 dollars a year on fuel (I am a commuter student), which is not fantastic, but also not horrible. My car generates an average of 10.20 tons of annual greenhouse gas emissions, and has an EPA air pollution score of 2 out of 10, which is terrible. It is 4-wheel drive, with 5 Cylinders. My car is not as bad as a 6-cylinder mustang; however, since it is sort of large, people look at it with scorn. According to fueleconomy.org, it is not a gas-guzzler.

While my car is not the most environmentally friendly on the market, it sure does serve an environmentally friendly purpose! It has been deemed the “official NYPIRG truck”. NYPIRG (the New York Public Interest Research Group) has used my truck many a time to cart loads and loads of food that we collected to Family of New Paltz, and has held hundreds of plastic bottles from community clean ups and brought them to the recycling center. It has also been used to drive people to environmentally friendly events. I believe that my car’s carbon footprint is offset by all the wonderful deeds it is used for. NYPIRG members fondly refer it to as “the truck of social justice”. In addition to this, my truck was a hand me down, and I have had it since I was 16 years old. I have eliminated the need for more materials and resources to be used to create a new car for me, and I plan to keep this vehicle until I run it into the ground and there is no hope of it’s survival! I have a sincere passionate love for my truck.
In filling out my consumption chart, I realized that I do a lot of wasteful driving with my truck. Because my truck only holds 2 passengers (comfortably one), I find it very difficult to carpool. However, I am often the “designated driver” on party nights since I have a very sensitive stomach, and I often find myself cramming 3 passengers in my little car (I’d rather do that than have my female friends drunkenly wander home alone!). I often drive to school alone, and drive alone home. I also drive to and from friend’s houses alone. This is because I tend to go places alone, and I like to drive myself so I can go home whenever I want, rather than being forced to stay out till four in the morning. The reason I drive is because it is very cold out, and I am a pansy.

Once the weather warms up, or on days that are less bitter than usual, I can easily change by driving habits, thus reduce my carbon footprint, by riding my bike to class. Almost half of American’s car trips are less than 2 miles, and often times in traffic, bikes can be faster than a car. It takes me a half hour to walk from my doorstep to the Student Union Building of SUNY New Paltz. However, the bike ride takes about 10 minutes. There is no need for me to drive if the weather permits a nice bike ride. Also, I am often late to class (sorry!) for the simple reason of not being able to find a parking spot. Riding my bike would reduce my tardiness!

No comments: